Thursday, June 19, 2008

A moment of Silence....

I have been attending several AA and NA meetings a week. In those rooms I have learned a good many things. In those rooms I have heard stories that have broken my heart, made me cry, brought me joy, and gave me strength.

In one particular meeting we always have a moment of silence for the people who are still using, or who will pick it up today for the first time, and for the people who will die today because of their addiction.

Yesterday, while talking to an old friend I had recently got in touch with, she informed me that she had been at the hospital all day. A friend of hers that she had met in AA had tried heroin for the first time with her partner and overdosed. It left her laying in a hospital brain dead.

That brings such grief to my heart. There are so many people who fall victim to this disease of addiction, myself included. If you think about it, how many people right at this moment are dying? Overdose, drunken driving, murder for the drugs or money. I can't venture a guess that would be anywhere close to accurate.

So today a moment of silence for all the addicts who will pick up for the first time today, die today, or continue to struggle with their demons....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi! hope you are doing well and staying strong?!